Thursday, October 1, 2009

MY GRANDPARENTS



I have always said it is easier to get information on my family members back in the 1700's than it has been for the 1900's.

My grandfather, Ziphirin Champagne was born July 28, 1876 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He married Octavie Carriere on May 21, 1907. He was 30 years old and she was 18, having been born February 12, 1889 in DeSalaberry, Manitoba. I have his date of death as September 11, 1944 in Ontario. This was before I was born. I cannot find a death date for her.


I have no recollection of my grandmother but I have a vague recollection of my mom and my aunt cleaning out her suite in an old house. I could be mistaken about that. I would have been about 4 or 5 years old. I recall hardwood floors and a bunch of 78 rpm records in an empty closet.


I have few stories about them. My grandfather worked on the railway for a time. He was known for his big hands and was a bit of a security guard on the trains tossing people off. Though not an educated man Ziphirin could speak English, French and Cree being of Metis heritage. My grandmother was apparently a rather unhappy woman but with 12 children that lived, at least for a while, and many more who didn't I think I would be miserable too. Too many mouths and too little food. It was a very hard life. One that was shared with many others.


My grandparents family lines crossed in many areas. They were first cousins once removed through Emmanuel Beaugrand dit Champagne, grandfather to Ziphirin and great grandfather to Octavie. They were also second cousins through two different lines. In total they are related 16 different ways that I won't go into here. It is a wonder that my entire family doesn't have two heads or something. 

12 comments:

Linda Hughes Hiser said...

I guess I might also have two head too...LOL My great grandparents were second cousins....lots of intertwining in in those folks. I totally agree....sometimes it is easier to find family in the 1700's and 1800's than in the 1900's. Ancestry.com does at least bring most of mine up to the 1930's, which is helpful. I also had railroaders in my lines.

@eloh said...

Wow, that is really wierd. My mothers mothers' roots go back to old Virginia where they crossed paths with my dads family I'm sure...not that many people back then. But in 300 years, no marriages between the two families until my folks. I always found it amazing to see their footsteps cross.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori,

Thanks for visiting my blog. :) I have tried and tried over again to add "followers" to my blog,but for some reason, it wont work. I have checked all of my settings and still... it wont work! :(

I love the story of your GG Grandparents! There is always an interesting twist to everyone's past. (Good, Bad or indifferent) My genealogical sleuthing uncovered a few intermingling of marriages within my family tree as well. Those types of arrangements were acceptable back then. (I'm sure glad things have changed over the years... for the most part.) (LOL)

Thanks again for the visit! I look forward to visiting you again! Genealogy is one of my main interests. :) I have traced my paternal side back to 1754... with lots of detail and photos.. :) One day soon, I will share a few stories. I will be sure to let you know when I post!

xoxooxoxo
Donna Marie

Anonymous said...

Yes, I tried exactly that, and nothing.. I don't know if you can see a space for it, but nothing is there.

Donna M

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori,

I think you may get tired of me first. (LOL) Seriously though... I could never get tired of you! :)

I have a google acct. (For blogging) I am going to go check out the friend connect thingy. I hope it makes a difference. :)

I think it's real cool that you teach Seniors! :)

xoxoxoxoxo
Donna M

Anonymous said...

Lori, You ROCK!!!! Come on over and sign up to follow my blog! :) I had to use Google's Friend Connect... but it works! :) Thanks a million!!!!

xoxoxoxox
Donna M

Unknown said...

Lori,
What a great post! And yes, your grandmother does not look like a happy camper most times, but gosh I would have never made it back then....life was just too hard. ALL the time! 12 children....how in the world???? Plus a husband that was probably not there much working for the railroad. And that was normal. My grandfather was one of 10. I enjoyed your story. I think the age difference between the two of them also speaks of the time they lived. Thanks for posting this!

dave t said...

hi are you from bellinham mass

Lori E said...

No, Dave I am not from Mass. I am Canadian. Do you think there is a family connection?

A Gift Wrapped Life said...

I have me your grandmother Octavie, I remember her face. I think I remember Denise and then who was Harvey? He was great fun. I sent you an email.
Sande C.

Unknown said...

the bottom photo, is that Emmanuel Champagne?

Lori E said...

Hi Stephanie,

Those are all pictures of the same people. Zephirin Champagne and his wife Octavie Carriere.